Thursday, July 26, 2007

No Spoilers, I Promise

It's done.

For five consecutive nights that stretched well into the early morning, my head has been filled with horcruxes and hallows, wand lore and wizardry. And friends, I am tired.

So it's time to close the book on Harry Potter and return to the real world. As an unabashed fan of the series, I have to admit that I feel a bit of loss now that it's over. At the same time, I hope that J.K. Rowling sticks to her guns and ends it here for good. If the dreadful Star Wars prequels taught us anything, it's that even grand epics have a limited shelf life. When the story's told, it's time to walk away.

Still, it was easy--and fun--to get swept into the frenzy that accompanied the release of each book. Cultural moments like these are rare and, if ever a body of work was mostly deserving of its hype, it's Harry Potter. But as compulsively readable as the books are, I think there's an even stronger force at work behind Potter-mania.

Over the last few years, I've read the latest installment in the series while riding the subway in Boston (back when adults were still embarrassed to be reading the books in public and removed the dustjackets), in the common room of the London flat I lived in, the stifling hot Brookline, Mass. apartment I subletted the summer after college, an airy suburban California house and, finally, in my new apartment in Los Angeles. If you've been a fan of the series since early on, then Harry Potter and friends have probably been with you longer than half the people in your life right now.

It's tempting to scoff at pop culture and the over-the-top displays it sometimes inspires. The phrase itself suggests something that is disposable and frivolous--but to discount the impact of pop culture in our lives is to overlook what a powerful unifying force it can be.

Sure, it may seem stupid to bond with someone just because you both share a love of cheesy WB coming-of-age shows or, at one point in your lives, could sing along with the entire soundtrack of "Rent." (I've had lasting friendships develop from both of these things). But we live in a world where we're constantly moving--changing jobs, changing cities, changing friends and communities. Pop culture is one of the few shared experiences we take with us wherever we go.

It seems like we now tend build our communities around the things we love: the books and music that inspire us, the TV shows we slavishly follow, the movies we line up for on opening night. When something as massive as Harry Potter comes along then, for a short time, we're part of a global community.

While I myself draw the line at costumes, I can understand what drives people to don their Hogwarts finest and head to their neighborhood Barnes & Noble. Sometimes we just need to feel swept up in something much bigger than ourselves. (Unless of course it's something creepy, like the Manson Family. Or Scientology.) But if you like to go to Comic-Con in a strom trooper costume every year, may the force be with you. If camping out at your local bookstore on Harry Potter-eve is your poison, I say embrace the obsession!

Then go grab yourself a squishee and get in line for The Simpsons movie.

7 comments:

Noelle said...

I used to try so hard to avoid these cultural moments, but when they happen to coincide with awesomely written books or TV shows that are ingrained into a certain kind of culture, it's nice to belong. I think you'll like this "non-spoiler" cartoon: http://www.wondermark.com/d/321.html

Anonymous said...

You know, I used to avoid those cultural moments too. When I was little, I REFUSED to listen to New Kids on the Block or watch 90210. I didn't want to like something only because everyone else was gaga over it. However, I scorned 90210 without even giving it a try. Later on, I learned that it's stupid not to like something JUST because it's popular. Yet, to this day, I still have never seen an episode of 90210.

Anonymous said...

I can't start HP 7 until I finish the book I'm reading now. I'm suddenly obsessed with the idea of spoilers. I'm afraid to go on the internet, to watch TV. I won't even walk in the vicinity of little kids at Ralph's or some place for fear that one of the little bastards will blurt something out. I'm a man, damnit. This is no way to live. Stupid Harry Potter.

Kyle Garret said...

I find it disturbing that Matt is suffering because he can no longer walk in the vicinity of little kids at Ralph's.

Anonymous said...

But less disturbing than Matt rejoicing because he CAN walk in the vicinity of little kids at Ralph's.

Anonymous said...

Quite right! It is excellent idea. It is ready to support you.

Anonymous said...

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?