Thursday, September 20, 2007

As Time Goes By

Matt and I were 18 when we met, which I admit is a ridiculous age to meet the person you're going to end up spending your life with.

We were Freshman in college, and we lived on the same floor in our dorm. Matt says he remembers seeing me at the floor meeting on the day we all moved in. I remember that meeting too...I was terrified and excited and, if I'm not mistaken, I was wearing my hair in pigtails (probably my idea of dorm fashion at the time--cute but not trying too hard). Icebreakers and pigtails are a ridiculous way to meet the person you're going to end up spending your life with.

Over the next few months, I don't exactly remember how, he became my best friend. And then he became more. I won't subject you to all the details of our eight-year relationship, but suffice it to say that along the way there were break-ups and break downs, long-distance drama and moments of uncertainty. When people ask me how we've stayed together through all of our tumultuous young adult years, my stock answer is that it hasn't always been easy, but it's always been worth it.

Sometimes I think our entire relationship can be summed up by our first subway ride together. One night, very early into that first fall, we decided to take a study break and head over to Tower Records. It was only a few blocks away, but we were new to the city so we jumped on the Green Line for a two-stop ride.

I don't really remember what we talked about on the way. What I do remember is that when the conversation finally paused, we realized we'd overshot our destination by about seven stops. Instead of heading right back, we got off the train and walked around the Boston Common; the first of probably a thousand times we'd wander around the city together, just walking and talking. Of course I didn't know it at the time, but that night became a blueprint for all the nights that would follow--never running out of things to say to each other and never wanting the ride to end.

So now, we are engaged. In some ways it feels like everything has been happening very fast. After all, just six months ago we were moving in together, picking out our couch and stressing about the $700 price tag. Now we're talking about planning a wedding (talk about escalation). But really, we've spent the better part of a decade getting here.

And what a ride it's been.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! I'm currently half-way to an 8 year engagement, and despite the distance, it seems so worth it. Hopefully, I'll be picking out couches before 2012, but I guess it's worth the wait. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Now you've done it. You've made me tear up at work while reading a blog. Some things should be read in the privacy of one's home.

I love you guys.

Unknown said...

I was wondering when you'd write about this! CONGRATULATIONS again to two of the greatest West Coast dwellers I know.

Kyle Garret said...

Clearly, Kelli doesn't know me.

Kyle Garret said...

I'm confused: did Anthony Clark introduce you two?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I cried a little while reading that.

I'm so glad that you brought Matt into our lives. While we're at it, I'm so glad that I turned around and started talking to you that day in Mr. Brooks' class freshman year of high school. I plove you guys! Soon, we'll have our second Spicy husband! Third, if you count Amanda :-)

Anonymous said...

God, can you even believe that there was a time when I didn't know you? Ferris was right-- life DOES move pretty fast sometimes :)