Tuesday, January 08, 2008

These Were A Few Of My Favorite Things

I know that we're already well on our way into 2008. But while 2007 is still fresh in our minds, I wanted to take a look back at some of my favorite books, movies, TV shows, etc. from the past year. I should note that not all of them were new in 2007, it just happened to be the year that they were new to me.

Movies:

-Once
This was hands-down my favorite movie of the year. Such a lovely and understated romance that felt hauntingly real. And the music was amazing, of course.

-Atonement
I'm a sucker for sweeping romantic epics, particularly sweeping romantic epics set during times of war. It's also a wonderful adaptation of a wonderful book that seemed like it would be really hard to adapt.

-Superbad
I really can't remember the last time I laughed this hard at a movie. Between this and Juno, my age-inappropriate crush on Michael Cera is undeniable.


TV Shows:

-Friday Night Lights (Season 1)
Let me state for the record that I hate football, and that living in a small Texas town where high school football is regarded as the reason for living is pretty much my idea of Hell. But the first season of FNL definitely stands as one of the great discoveries of 2007. It's a beautiful portrayal of just such a town and the people who inhabit it. Season 2 has been a disappointment so far (the Landry storyline? Really?), but Season 1 is an almost flawless work of art.

-Chuck
It's been a pretty disappointing season of television all around (damn you, Hollywood executives!), but Chuck was an unexpected surprise that has emerged as my favorite new show. It's fun and clever and every scene set in the Buy More makes me laugh. Josh Schwartz continues to indulge his self-referential streak, but I'll forgive him because of the awesome Halloween episode homage to "The OC."

-How I Met Your Mother
I'm a season behind on this show, having just finished Season 2 on DVD. It's such a genuinely funny show with characters that you wish you knew in real life. Speaking of which, I recently found myself standing behind Jason Segel at a coffee kiosk at the mall and it was all I could do not to start singing, "Let's go to the mall...TODAY!"

Books:

-The Year of Magical Thinking (Joan Didion)
Such a beautiful and heartbreaking depiction of love and loss.

-Special Topics in Calamity Physics (Marisha Pessl)
Part murder mystery and part coming-of-age story, the writing is a bit overblown but the book is a lot of fun to read. I can't quite explain why, but I've always been a big fan of stories about precocious adolescent girls who solve crimes.

-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (J.K. Rowling)
Great read and a solid finish to a fantastic series (except for that irritating epilogue).

Music:

-Bishop Allen
I'm not very good at writing about music, but Bishop Allen's second album "The Broken String" is a perfect blend of smart, infectious indie pop. Flight 180 is probably my most played song of the year.

-Wolf Parade
An awesome band introduced to me by my friend Sarah, who is a devotee of band member Spencer Krug. Worth seeing them live just for a demonstration of Krug's aerobic keyboarding.

-Once soundtrack
See above.

Overall, a pretty good year in the annals of pop culture. Feel free to holler back with your favorite movie, book or celebrity meltdown from the year that was.

10 comments:

A Girl From Texas said...

I have been listening to the soundtrack to Once all day. A friend suggested we watch the movie New Year's Eve and I fell in love with the music. It was such a sweet poignant film.

Anonymous said...

You didn't like the epilogue of Harry Potter? Even thinking about it makes me well up and cry. Love it so! And I think you just tipped me over the edge into putting Friday Night Lights in my queue. I've heard so many good things, I may as well give it a go.

One last thing: there's nothing wrong with lusting after Michael Cera. Nothing at all.

Anonymous said...

Michael Cera is over 18, right? Totally fair game.

I still need to give Bishop Allen a listen. Hey, if Matt proudly sports the t-shirt then it must be good stuff.

I am going to propose the Joan Didion book at Book Club tomorrow.

My favorite movies of the year were "I Am Legend" and "Into the Wild". I strongly believe that Emile Hirsch deserves the best actor award this year (and not just because he is a Spencer Krug clone-- which he is).

Kyle Garret said...

Given the desperate plea to the television gods I witnessed in my living room not but a month ago, I have to wonder if leaving Battlestar Galactica off your list was an effort to hide the extent of your dorkiness.

We know, Meghan. You can't hide it from us.

Anonymous said...

man megs, we're like 0 for 3 for movie tastes-- I finally saw superbad and I was a little dissapointed! I thought it was entirely too much smug filth and not enough wit-- less knocked up, more 40 year old virgin (seeing those two side by side makes me think they should make a movie called Knocked Up by A 40 year Old Virgin).

You know my feelings about Once-- but I haven't seen Atonement yet, we could get a win in there :)

Anonymous said...

Oops. Meant to sign that one Neetu.

Anonymous said...

"Smug filth"? When did Neetu turn into one of the town elders from "Footloose"?

Meghan said...

Kyle--Considering that Battlestar Galactica barely aired in 2007 it didn't really seem applicable to the list. But in 2008 it's all BSG, baby!

And, yes, it's true. Neetu no longer believes in public dancing as it may lead to fornication.

Kyle Garret said...

Meghan - Because I'm THAT GUY, I have to point out that BSG aired 9 episode and a two hour movie during 2007. You kids and your "what have you done for me lately" attitude!

Although I can understand not wanting to mention it on a blog that Matt reads. I would expect your household to be akin to that of an evangelical living with an atheist...

...or, for Matt's benefit, an atheist living with a scientologist.

A Girl From Texas said...

Hey Meghan, thanks for stopping by my blog.

I'm a movie person myself but I'm usually so busy I hardly get to go out, so I have to rely on Netflix to keep me updated.

I probably should do something like you have using my Netflix as my source for the year. However all the movies I saw this year came out over a year ago.