Monday, December 18, 2006

And So It Begins

To start with, I should say that I tend to be late to the party. But within the past few weeks, I've hooked up my TiVo and gotten my first IPod, so the time seems right to continue my foray into the 21st century by setting up a blog. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, mainly as a creative outlet and because I'm just arrogant enough to think that someone besides me might be interested in my thoughts on things. (Isn't that the philosophy upon which the entire Internet culture is based?) The plan is to regularly post pithy and hopefully insightful commentary on current events and pop culture, but I can't promise that it won't occasionally be just a landing pad for random thoughts.

Part of the reason it took me so long to get this going is because I agonized over what to call it. It's harder than you might imagine to think of a name that's neither overly pretentious nor cheesy. In the end, I called it The Notebook as a nod to my roots. Back in high school, my extremely close-knit group of friends started passing around a notebook as sort of a collective diary. A sisterhood of the traveling three-ring binder, if you will. What started as musings about the mind-numbing boredom of health class and gossip about boys later evolved into a gold mine of doodles, photos, hilarious observations of high school trials and tribulations and endless games of dump, screw, marry. If everything I owned were to suddenly go up in smoke, that is probably the first thing i would save. That and my new IPod. So, I dedicate this blog to a group of bright and witty young women who were the first people on earth to like my writing, or at least to tell me they did.

No comments: