Sunday, February 04, 2007

These Vagabond Shoes...

My favorite times at my house are Taco Tuesdays. The best thing about Taco Tuesdays is that they can actually occur spontaneously on pretty much any night of the week. One of the roommates will come home from work, and instead of a throwing together a hastily prepared meal eaten at the counter, will declare “I feel like tacos tonight.”

Then there is great jubilation over the inspired idea. Plans to go to the gym, do laundry or run errands are abandoned. Sufjan Stevens, or something equally soothing, is played on the stereo. Erin will start cooking the meat (real for us, soy for the metro-sexual men of the house), I’ll chop the vegetables, Nick purees the avocados, and Corey brings out the chips and salsa for pre-dinner snacking. When the feast is prepared, we all sit down at the table like the bizarre pseudo-suburban family that we have become.

The last such night was especially significant, because we all knew there was a good chance it would be one of the last. Change is always a little bittersweet even when it’s welcome or even sought after. This week, I accepted a job offer in Los Angeles and will be moving there in few weeks. By the end of the summer, the three delightful people I’ve shared a home with for the past year-and-a-half will likely be scattered around the globe when they leave to teach overseas.

I’m rejoicing at no longer being an urban snob trapped in the suburbs. No more will I be stranded miles from a Nordstroms and good Indian take-out. After three years of living 60 miles apart and mutual shuttling back and forth on weekends, I’m leaving tract-home Hell for the relative civilization of Los Angeles and domestic bliss with Matt.

It’s incredibly exciting, and long overdue, but it also closes a chapter in my life. With the exception of the nine months I lived in a one-bedroom apartment alone, I’ve always had roommates.

There’ve been the Good (the current roomies, my 1601 girls from senior year of college), the Bad (my freshman year roommate who sold drugs and kept her stash hidden in the cereal bar box) and the Ugly. (My former housemate, Jen, who listened to rap full blast in the morning and actually thought she should only have to pay half the rent one month because she was going to be out of town for two weeks. Also, my other freshman year roommate who went to bed at 10:30 every night and at 12 a.m. would inevitably march into the floor lounge and tell everyone to “go to bed, idiots!”)

Now, that part of life that is spent shuffling from place to place, essentially rootless and able to pack my life into a few boxes on short notice, is over. Matt and I will purchase furniture and hang framed pictures on the wall. I will spend an inordinate amount of time drooling over Pottery Barn catalogues. My books will be displayed on shelves instead of shoved under my bed in shopping bags.

If things go according to plan, I will be somewhat settled and Matt will be the last roommate I ever have. That is unless somewhere down the line, in my golden years, I end up sharing a house in Miami with a ditzy blond from St. Olaf, a slutty aging Southern belle, and a sassy elderly woman who starts every sentence with “Sicily, 1952…” (I guess in this scenario I would be Dorothy.)

The next stage of my life is sure to be a journey fraught with adventure and some peril. Can a slob and a neatnik co-habitate without turning into characters from a Neil Simon play? Who will emerge as the ultimate master of the remote, and how many televised Red Sox games can one woman endure?

I can’t wait to find out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So am I the "Stan" in this Golden Girls scenario?

Kelli said...

Holy smokes! I am so excited for you. Congrats on the new job AND an end of the long distance shuttling.

I have to tell you, that making an apartment feel like home actually gets quite addicting (even if you're on a constant hunt to reproduce what you see in the P.Barn catalogue at Ikea) AND those Red Sox games? I found myself absolutely hooked after about a month (and NOW watch them on my own accord. Crazy.)

Good luck, happy packing, and I can't wait to hear how the move evolves!

Neo said...

Meg - Found your blog while doing a next blog mission. Good writing. My 2 cents. A neat freak and a slob can't co-habitate. Dishes in the sink drive neat freaks up a wall.

Good luck with the move and new job.

Say hi to the gova-nator for me.

Peace,

- Neo

Kyle Garret said...

Oh, I have so much advice, and yet I know I shouldn't give any. I think I'm on Matt's last nerve about location as it is.

I'll given you one innocuous gem, though: closet space/storage space. That will help ease the messy/neatnik tension. As long as you have the option of putting things away, it makes it all easier -- because at least all that mess has someplace it can go.

Kudos on the job and the Golden Girls reference.

Unknown said...

Meghan! I'm so so so happy you will be in LA now! Now we can actually see you more than once a month and you and matt can hang out at our place on a regular/casual basis (aka. the apartment won't be as clean as i usually make it on your monthy visits). I hope you guys find the right apartment in the right neighborhood. I won't bug you about location cause apparently Kyle has done that enough, but I will say this...I hope you end up close! (close in LA means a 10 min drive or less! keep that in mind!)Congrats on the job I can't wait to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

I was patently unaware that you and Matt ate Indian takeout, because as I understand, Matt is averse to most things that don't resemble a burger. I'm looking forward to seeing this new diet change in March :).

By the way, it's incredibly funny that you mention the Golden Girls because I couldn't sleep the other night, and I was trying how to translate the Fab 4 into each Girl. Here's what I got: Dorothy: Me, Sophia: You (Short, witty woman with an instult for every occasion, and my comedic partner? Got you written all over it), Blanche: Tiff, Rose:Sarah (this one doesn't really fit, but she's the only one left...). Works pretty well I think.

Meghan said...

See Neets, I kinda see you more as Sophia just because of your penchant for wacky misadventures. But I'm open to discussion on the matter.