Thursday, February 08, 2007

When a Donkey Becomes an Ass

Democrats have been ticking me off lately.

First off, there was that ridiculous controversy a couple of weeks ago over Bush referring to the “Democrat majority” during the State of the Union address. Apparently, some Democrats found this horribly offensive. Why, I don’t know. Maybe Bush did mean it as an intentional dig, but come on. This is a guy who has access to all the nuclear launch codes, but can’t pronounce the word “nuclear.” I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since it seems like we should have slightly more important matters to worry about.

And anyway, who cares if Bush neglected to put the “ic” in Democratic when we’ve got the fellows mentioned below to do it for him:

Let's start with Joseph Biden's comments about Barack Obama. Just in case you missed it, the Delaware Senator announced he was running for President last week and then proceeded to describe his rival for the Democratic nomination as “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”

Now, sometimes—maybe because we pride ourselves on being the party of inclusion or because of our need to feel everybody’s pain--I think we liberals can be a tad oversensitive. This is not one of those times.

I’ve seen Biden appear on The Daily Show a couple of times, and previously found his frankness and candor rather refreshing. But what the hell? You think Barack Obama is such an impressive candidate because he manages to be both black AND clean—is that what we’re supposed to take from your comments? This is how you choose to introduce yourself to the nation?

I thought no prospective presidential candidate could commit a bigger gaffe than accidentally calling American soldiers stupid, but clearly I was wrong. To quote Billy Madison (and the recent Kazzie awards): “I award you no points, may God have mercy on your soul.”

And, finally, Gavin Newsom. Gavin, Gavin, Gavin. I left my heart in San Francisco back in 2004 when you opened city hall to all those happy same-sex couples seeking marriage licenses. And while your bold act of civil disobedience may have contributed to a heap of reactionary anti-gay laws being passed a few months later, I adored you for being a man of principle. You’re still much better eye-candy than, say, Ted Kennedy, but get it together, man!

Still, I haven’t lost faith. I believe that this will be a banner year for the Democrat-ic Party, and that the 2008 election is ours to lose. But perhaps our venerable leaders need a gentle reminder that with great power comes great…something.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. Biden may have had a point. I've often felt Al Sharpton's inability to articulate his thoughts was the main thing keeping him from the White House.

Ditto with Carol Moseley Braun and her bizarre aversion to bathing.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I am STILL steamed about the rediculous vote to send us to war back in 03....how is it that a 21-year old college student could see that the war was going to be a sham, but our elected officials couldn't? I still haven't forgiven the dems for being cowardly and getting us into a war back then that they're whining about getting us out of now.

Anonymous said...

I think Gavin is a GENIUS. Think about it:

Why do people want to ban gay marriage? Because they think it undermines the sanctity of marriage. So Newsome goes out and HAS AN AFFAIR to show that this argument against gay marriage is crazy -- STRAIGHT people undermine the sanctity of marriage!

The man is a trailblazer.

I also find it funny that anyone thinks Obama's appeal is that he's black, which is the implication in such statements (made by Bush and Coulter as well). Were he white his appeal would be the same: new ideas and buckets of charisma.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Meghan, you should add this blog to your list of links at the right:

http://callumrobbins.blogspot.com/

It's pretty self-explanatory when you read it. The connection here being that his father (J.) had a big influence on me growing up. I figure maybe someone will click on it if it's on your page...

...or something like that. I dunno. Couldn't hurt?

Unknown said...

hey meghan, this is totally not on topic but i didn't kow if you knew about
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

i'm sure you have it's everywhere now but maybe you'd want to add it to your list of websites. i love it and check it every monday...

Meghan said...

Nicole: Awesome idea--I love that website. I'll add it post haste.