Tuesday, May 08, 2007

In Defense of Ally

Where have all the good women gone?

That was the only question I was left with after watching last week's episode of "Grey's Anatomy." Once a devoted viewer, I only catch the show sporadically now--usually tuning in just often enough to be utterly confused by the plot line. (What...Izzie slept with George?!?!) But I was kind of curious about the new spin-off, and Taye Diggs is on it, so what the hell?

The entire two hour episode of the reigning chick show fluctuated between the female characters at Seattle Grace obsessing about their failing relationships and upcoming marriages, and the female characters at the Los Angeles wellness clinic obsessing about their failed relationships and inability to get pregnant.

In the most painful scene from the episode, the main character breaks down in a hospital stairwell after successfully performing a life-saving surgery. Pouring her heart out to her potential love interest, she wails that she feels "dried up" and "barren," two phrases surely guaranteed to bring the boys a-runnin'.

Then, in perhaps the worst line of dialogue ever intended to sweep a woman off her feet, the potential love interest says, "I'm going to kiss you now. With tongue. So you feel it."

"Ok," she dazedly responds, clearly swept away by the romantic impetuousness of his declaration.

Are we really supposed to believe that we are most attractive to men when we're on the verge of a nervous breakdown? I guess it's lucky for us then that emotional distress is so easily cured with a little bit of good tongue kissing.

In a New York Times review of the episode, Alessandra Stanley laid it all at the feet of "Ally McBeal." Ally, she argues, was the beginning of the end--the cultural turning point where sex-starved basket case became the new female model.

I've always been a defender of Ally, since I was a bona fide fan of the show for the first couple of seasons. After all, pop culture has always embraced adorably daffy career gals as its heroines. Ally wasn't the first, she was just the most extreme example to date. The ladies of "Sex in the City" also took some heat for spending so much time talking about guys despite being successful career women. Again, that part never really bothered me. I have a number of extremely bright, career-oriented female friends, and I know we spend more time talking about relationships than the stock market.

The thing is that we relate to these fictional women not because they're perfect models of feminist ideals, but because (just like us!) they're works in progress. They struggle with figuring out really matters, juggling intelligence and ambition with the desire for boys to like them. They just do it in bigger apartments and with better shoes. I always felt that the best female characters possess an inner well of strength that ennobles them even while they're breaking down.

No matter how her heart had been broken or how Mr. Big had done her wrong, Carrie Bradshaw would strap on her Manolos and strut down that New York City sidewalk. Buffy didn't curl up in a fetal position after sending her boyfriend to a Hell dimension; she got up the next day and kicked some more vampire ass. Even poor, scrawny, neurotic Ally usually ended each episode on an optimistic note, rocking out to yet another Vonda Shepard song or cavorting with her imaginary baby.

The difference between those characters and the women of "Grey's" is that they never seem to get off the mat. A show that started out as a dramedy about young doctors is now about women who exist in a persistent state of distress over their annoyingly nicknamed boyfriend du jour. There's a fine line between relatable and pathetic.

Even sadder is that several of the remaining good female characters in TV land are disappearing from the airwaves. Those fast-talking Gilmore Girls will not be returning to Stars Hollow next season, and Veronica Mars' tough-as-nails teenage detective is fighting for her life. Apparently, a modern-day Nancy Drew who lives by her wits can't compete with a reality show that equates female empowerment with the ability to bend your leg behind your head.

Maybe those wannabe Dolls can find a new career path in Seattle as wannabe surgeons?

12 comments:

Kyle Garret said...

No one in the history of the world has ever rocked out to Vonda Shepherd.

Ever.

Anonymous said...

Not to go all Nerd on you, but actually...after banishing her boyfriend to the Hell dimension, Buffy changed her name to "Anne" and fled Sunnydale. But soon after, she was back to saving the world again, so your point is well taken.

I'm just amazed you were able to write a whole column about women in TV without a single reference to your beloved "Felicity." Sometimes I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

Meghan said...

Well, I've never really forgiven her for choosing Ben over Noel.

Kyle Garret said...

"Well, I've never really forgiven her for choosing Ben over Noel."

And here I didn't think it was possible to like you even more.

Anonymous said...

Kyle - So not only did you watch "Felicity," but you actually have an opinion on the Ben vs. Noel debate.

And here I didn't think it was possible to respect you any less.

Anonymous said...

Way to dust off an old chestnut-- Vonda Shepherd? Genius.

Sometimes I don't think we could be any more similar than we are. Your post totally reflects things I've been thinking about since I viewed the Gilmore Girls next to last episode last week. In that episode, Rory gets proposed to by pretty much the perfect man--and says no. The writers had her do some 'i need to find myself on my own terms' speech, but it pissed me off because it made no sense.

Rory is HAPPY with Logan. He cares about her. He values her true self, and all that other stuff that good partners are supposed to do. But it seemed like they were more interesting in sending a hollow message of female empowerment to the impressionable GG audience by having Rory say no to something that really made her happy. And I just don't get it- isn't being happy the whole end goal of feminism?

I'll tune in this week to see if Rory retracts her decision. But if she doesn't, and if the writers put her on a boat to discover herself a la Dawson's Creek or the OC, I will write a guest post entitled "Feminism killed the Gilmore Girls."

Anonymous said...

Oh, and meghan, ben was completely the right choice. Noel's cute, charming, nervous schtick got a little old after a while-- even jennifer garner agreed! Of course, she went on to marry that asshat Ben Affleck, so may she's not a good metric....

Meghan said...

Neetu, I love that you're such a grad student that you use the word "metric" to analyze celebrity marriages.

I agree with you on the GG issue, although I haven't seen the episode yet. I've never understood the idea that being alone for the sake of being alone is empowering. Being alone is only empowering when you're not willing to settle.

Kelli said...

I stopped reading all the comments when I saw some spoilers about Gilmore Girls (gah! Rory! Proposed to! But I didn't read any further b/c I,see, am still on season 6 in the DVD world of the Girls in Stars Hollow.)

Anyway. Before that whole rant, I just had to say that I am so very, very sad that girls like Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda & Samantha have left TV land...just as I'm already mourning the loss of Rory & Lorelai.

Anonymous said...

Shall we expect a eulogy for the soon-to-be late, great "Veronica Mars"?

Anonymous said...

Neetu, your comments about asshats and dusting off chestnuts definitely precipitated a chortle.

I'm glad that I'm not alone in my disdain for Gray's Anatomy.

**Gilmore Girls Spoiler Alert!**

I wish I hadn't seen the final episode of GG. It was way too sad. Why did the writers have to make poor Rory give up EVERYTHING except for her career? I just hate how it ended with Rory having to leave so quickly and not even getting to take that roller coaster trip with her mom. They could have at least given her that.

Meghan said...

I guess when Barack Obama calls, one must answer. (Like that's a job a newly minted college grad could get!)

No bitterness here :-)